Smart INitiative of cities Fully cOmmitted to iNvest In Advanced large-scaled energy solutions - SINFONIA
With 80% of European citizens living in urban areas, cities have a crucial role to play in the transition towards a low-carbon economy. Faced with the challenge of ensuring the quality of life of their citizens while becoming more energy eﬃcient, cities must look at the system level and develop integrated urban development strategies that will make them both sustainable and better places to live.
Bolzano and Innsbruck paving the way to smarter cities
The SINFONIA project is a ﬁve-year initiative to deploy large-scale, integrated and scalable energy solutions in middle-sized European cities. At the heart of the initiative is a unique cooperation between the cities of Bolzano and Innsbruck, working hand in hand to achieve 40 to 50% primary energy savings and increase the share of renewables by 20% in two pioneer districts. This will be done through an integrated set of measures combining the retroﬁtting of more than 100,000m² of living surface, optimisation of the electricity grid, and solutions for district heating and cooling.
Bridging the gap between demonstration and large-scale replication
A large part of the project is therefore dedicated to the transferability and scalability of the solutions deployed in the two pioneer districts. To achieve this, SINFONIA will deﬁ ne a limited set of district typologies and corresponding refurbishment models, enabling cities to easily assess their needs and eﬃ ciently deﬁ ne their long-term refurbishment strategies. Their scalability and transferability, these models and typologies will be tested and validated with all stakeholders involved – public and private, from citizen to energy regulators - not only in Innsbruck and Bolzano, but also in ﬁ ve ‘early adopter’ cities actively participating in SINFONIA: La Rochelle (FR), Rosenheim (DE), Pafos (CY), Seville (ES) and Borås (SE).
1. RISE RESEARCH INSTITUTES OF SWEDEN AB - RISE
2. LANDESHAUPTSTADT INNSBRUCK - MAGIBK
3. INNSBRUCKER KOMMUNALBETRIEBE AG - IKB
4. NEUE HEIMAT TIROL GEMEINNUTZIGE WOHNUNGSGMBH – NHT
5. UNIVERSITAET INNSBRUCK – UIBK
6. TIROLER ZUKUNFTSSTIFTUNG – TZS
7. COMUNE DI BOLZANO - BOZ
8. ACCADEMIA EUROPEA PER LA RICERCA APPLICATA ED IL PERFEZIONAMENTO PROFESSIONALE BOLZANO (ACCADEMIA EUROPEA BOLZANO) – EURAC
9. ISTITUTO PER L'EDILIZIA SOCIALE DELLA PROVINCIA AUTONOMA DI BOLZANO - IPES
10. ALPERIA SpA ALPERIA
11. AGENZIA PER L'ENERGIA ALTO ADIGE –CASACLIMA - CASA CLIMA
12. BORAS KOMMUN - Borås
13. COMMUNE DE LA ROCHELLE - COMMUNE DE LA ROCHEL
14. CORPORACION DE EMPRESAS MUNICIPALES DE SEVILLA AIE - CEMS
15. MUNICIPALITY OF PAFOS - MUNICIPALITY OF PAFO
16. Greenovate! Europe - Greenovate! Europe